SUKHUH-KALEH, a seaport of Russian Caucasia in the government of Kutais. Pop. (1900), about 16,000. It is situated 106 m. N. of Batum, and has the best roadstead on the east coast of the Black Sea, being sheltered by mountains on three sides and never freezing. In spite of the difficulties of communication with the .interior, and the malarial marshes which surround the town, it has become important for the export of grain (chiefly maize). There is also a trade in tobacco. It stands on the site of the ancient Greek colony of Dioskurias. The annual mean temperature is 59 F. There are here a cathedral and a botanical garden. The town was captured by the Russians in 1809, but not formally relinquished by Turkey until 1829. In 1854 and again in 1877 it was occupied by the Turks.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)