STOWMARKET, a market town in the Stowmarket parliamentary division of Suffolk, England; 12 m. N.N.W. of Ipswich by the Great Eastern railway, on the river Gipping. Pop. of urban district (1901), 4162. The church of St Peter and St Mary is Decorated and Early English, with a lofty tower and wooden spire. The ancient vicarage has associations with Milton through his tutor, Dr Young. The town has an extensive chemical manufactory, iron foundry, and factories for the manufacture of guncotton, agricultural implements and compressed leather. There is also considerable trade in corn, malt, coal, slate and timber.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)