STOURPORT, a market town in the Bewdley parliamentary division of Worcestershire, England, 145 m. N. by W. of Worcester by the Great Western railway. Pop. of urban district (1901), 4529. It lies on the left bank of the Severn, at the junction of the Stour and the Staffordshire and Worcestershire canal. The town grew up after the opening of the canal in 1768. Ironworks, carpet-weaving and tanneries occupy many hands. At Redstone, the site of a former important ferry over the Severn, is a curious hermitage, excavated out of the red sandstone bank.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)