STEVENS POINT, a city and the county-seat of Portage county, Wisconsin, U.S.A., on both banks of the Wisconsin river, about no m. N. of Madison. Pop. (1890), 7896; (1900), 9524, of whom 2205 were foreign-born; (1910 U.S. census), 8692. Stevens Point is served by the Green Bay & Western and the Minneapolis, St Paul & Sault Ste Marie railways. It is attractively situated, has a fine public school system, including a high school, a manual training school, a domestic science department, and kindergarten and day schools for the deaf. It is the seat of one of the state normal schools (1894), of St Joseph's Academy (Polish), and of the Stevens Point Commercial College, and has a Carnegie library (1904), the Portage county court-house, a city hospital, and a tuberculosis sanatorium. The city is situated in the borders of the pine timber region, and the lumber industry predominates. There are railway repair shops here, and various manufactures. The city has a considerable wholesale jobbing trade, and is an important point of shipment for the products of the agricultural country in the vicinity. Stevens Point was first settled by George Stevens in 1839, was incorporated as a village in 1847, and was first chartered as a city in 1858.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)