STEVENAGE, an urban district in the Hitchin parliamentary division of Hertfordshire, England, 285 m. N. of London by the xxv. 29 a Great Northern railway. Pop. (1901), 3957. The church of St Nicholas, with a graceful tower and spire, is mainly Early English, but has Norman and later portions. There is a grammar school, founded in 1558. By the North Road, south of the town, is a row of six large barrows, considered to be of Danish construction.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)