STEELTON, a borough of Dauphin county, Pennsylvania, U.S.A., on the Susquehanna river, 3 m. S.E. of Harrisburg. Pop. (1890), 9250; (1900), 12,086, of whom 2300 were foreignborn and 1508 were negroes; (1910 census), 14,246. Steelton is served by the Pennsylvania and the Philadelphia & Reading railways, and is connected with Harrisburg by electric line. The city has a public library. Steelton is in an agricultural district, but its industrial importance is due primarily to the vast steel works of the Pennsylvania Steel Company. Other manufactures are flour and grist mill products, bricks, planingmill products, etc. In 1905 the total value of the borough's factory products was $15,745,628; the capital invested in manufacturing increased from $6,266,068 in 1900 to $18,642,853 in 1905, or 197-5%. There is a large limestone quarry within the borough limits. The municipality owns its waterworks and filtration plant. The place was laid out in 1866 under the name of Baldwin, but when it was incorporated as a borough, in 1880, the present name was adopted.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)