Stavropol, Town Of
STAVROPOL, TOWN OF, a town of southern Russia, capital of the government of the same name, situated on a plateau 2030 ft. above the sea, on the northern slope of the Caucasus, 200 m. N.W. of Vladikavkaz. It is connected by rail (247 m.) with Rostovon-the-Don. Although founded only in 1776, it has grown rapidly, and had in 1885 a population of 35,561, and of 46,965 in 1900. Stavropol is an episcopal see of the Orthodox Greek Church, and one of the best-built provincial towns of the Russian Empire, having wide streets, and houses mostly of stone, with large gardens surrounding the houses. There are public libraries, a people's palace and several scientific societies. Stavropol has flour-mills and various small factories. Large numbers of cattle are sent to Moscow and St Petersburg, while cereals, tallow and sheepskins are exported to Russia, and manufactured wafes imported. Armenian, Georgian and Persian merchants carry on a lively trade in local wares.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)