ST REMY, a town of south-eastern France in the department of Bouches-du-Rhone, 15 m. N.E. of Aries by road. Pop. (1906), town, 3668; commune, 6148. It is prettily situated to the north of the range of hills named the Alpines or Alpilles in a valley of olive trees. The town has a modern church with a lofty 14th-century spire. About a mile to the south are GalloRoman relics of the ancient Glanum, destroyed about 480. They comprise a triumphal arch and a fine three-storied mausoleum of uncertain date. Near by is the old priory of St Paul-de-Mausole with an interesting church and cloister of Romanesque architecture. In the vicinity of St Remy there are quarries of building stone, and seed-cultivation is an important industry.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)