ST JUNIEN, a town of west-central France in the department of Haute- Vienne, on the right bank of the Vienne, 26 m. W. by N. of Limoges on the railway from Limoges to Angouleme. Pop. (1006) town, 8484; commune, 11,400. The 12th century collegiate church, a fine example of the Romanesque style of Limousin, contains a richly sculptured tomb of St Junien, the hermit of the 6th century from whom the town takes its name. Another interesting building is the Gothic chapel of Notre-Dame, with three naves, rebuilt by Louis XI., standing close to a medieval bridge over the Vienne. The town, which ranks second in the department in population and industry, is noted for leather-dressing and the manufacture of gloves and straw paper.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)