ST DIZIER, a town of north-eastern France, in the department of Haute-Marne, 45 m. N.N.W. of Chaumont by rail, on the Marne and the Haute-Mame canal. Pop. (1906) town, 10,316; commune, 14,661. The town is a very important centre of the iron trade, with foundries, forges and engineering works, and has trade in grain and timber. It dates from the jrd century, when the relics of Bishop St Didier (whence the name of the town) were brought thither after the destruction of Langres by the Germans. It sustained a memorable siege against Charles V. in 1544.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)