SOWERBY BRIDGE, an urban district in the Sowerby parliamentary division of the West Riding of Yorkshire, England, 3 m. S.W. of Halifax by the Lancashire & Yorkshire railway. It is situated on both sides of the river Calder, at the termination of the Rochdale canal. Christ Church, dating from 1526, was rebuilt in 1819. The town is almost entirely a growth of the second half of the 19th century. It possesses worsted and cotton mills, iron works, dye works and chemical works. The separate urban district of Sowerby adjoins to the south-west. Pop. (1901), Sowerby Bridge, n,477; Sowerby, 3653.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)