SOUTHINGTON, a township of Hartford county, Connecticut, U.S.A., about 15 m. S.W. of the city of Hartford. Within the township is the borough of Southington, served by the New York, New Haven & Hartford railroad. Pop. of the township (1910), 6516, which included that of the borough, 3714. The area of the township is 35 sq. m. The principal industry is the manufacture of hardware goods. Between 1809 and 1874 as many as 236 patents were granted to residents. Southington was originally a part of the township of Farmington. It was settled about 1697; in 1724 it became an independent parish under the name of Panthorn. The township was incorporated in 1779, the borough in 1889.
See H. R. Timlow's Ecclesiastical and Other Sketches of Southington (Hartford, 1875).
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)