SOUTH OMAHA, a city of Douglas county, Nebraska, U.S.A., on the high western bluffs of the Missouri, immediately adjoining Omaha on the south. Pop. (1900), 26,001, of whom 5607 were foreign-born; (1910, census) 26,259. It is served by the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy, the Chicago Great Western, the Chicago, Milwaukee & St Paul, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Illinois Central, the Missouri Pacific, the Union Pacific, the Chicago & North Western, and the short Omaha Bridge Terminal railways. The principal public buildings are the Federal building (housing the post office and the bureau of animal industry), the public library and the live-stock exchange. Next to Chicago and Kansas City it is the greatest slaughtering and meat-packing centre in the United States. In 1905 it produced 43-5 % ($67,415,177) of the total value of the factory product of the state, and of this output 97-2% represented the slaughtering and packing industry. South Omaha was chartered as a city of the second class in 1887, and in 1901 became a city of the first class. The present city dates from 1884, when the Union stockyards were established here.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)