SOLI, CYPRUS, a Greek city on the north coast of Cyprus, lying at Soliais in the metalliferous country round Karavortasi near Lefka, on the south side of Morphou Bay. Its kingdom was bounded by the territories of Marion, Paphos, Tamassus and Lapathus. It was believed to have been founded after the Trojan War (c. 1180) by the Attic hero Acamas; but no remains have been found in this district earlier than the Early Iron Age (c. 1000-800). The town of " Sillu," whose king Irisu was an ally of Assur-bani-pal of Assyria in 668 B.C., is commonly supposed to represent Soli. 1 In Hellenic times Soli had little political importance, though it stood a five months' siege from the Persians soon after 500 B.C.; its copper mines, however, were famous, and have left copious slag heaps and traces of small scattered settlements. A neighbouring monastery is dedicated to " Our Lady of the Slagheaps " (Panagia Skourgidtissa). But the copper seems to have been exhausted in Roman times, and thereupon Soli became desert.
See W. H. Engel, Kypros (Berlin, 1841; classical authorities); J. L. Myres and M. Ohnefalsch-Richter, Cyprus Museum Catalogue, (Oxford, 1899; antiquities): G. F. Hill, Brit. Mus. Cat. Coins of Cyprus (London, 1904; coins). (J. L. M.)
1 E. Schrader, Abh. K. Preuss. Ak. Wiss. (1879).
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)