SIVRI-HISSAR, " Pointed-Castle," a town of Asia Minor, in the Angora vilayet, situated 8 m. N. of the site of Pessinus, at the foot of a lofty double-peaked ridge of rock, which bears the ruins of a Byzantine castle. It is a road and commercial centre, with a trade in opium and mohair. The population includes a large Armenian community. The town occupies the site of ancient Palia, re-founded and re-named Justinianopolis by the emperor Justinian. It was one of the chain of fortresses on the Byzantine military road across Asia Minor, and became the chief city of Galatia Salutaris about A.D. 700, succeeding to the heritage of Pessinus, whose metropolitan transferred his seat to the new capital, and held the title of " archbishop of Pessinus or of Justinianopolis."
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)