SILCHESTER, a parish in the north of Hampshire, England, about 10 m. S. of Reading, containing the site of the RomanoBritish town Calleva Atrebatum. This site has been lately explored (1890-1909) and the whole plan of the ancient town within the walls recovered; unfortunately the excavators had to abandon their task before the suburbs, cemeteries and whatever else may lie outside the walls have been examined. The results are published in Archaeologia, the official organ of the London Society of Antiquaries (see BRITAIN: Roman). As the excavations proceeded, the areas excavated were covered in again, but the ruins of the town hall, which have been famous since the 12th century, still remain. The smaller and movable objects found in the excavations have been deposited by the duke of Wellington, owner of the site of Calleva, in the Reading museum.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)