SIGMARINGEN, a town of Germany, chief towji of the Prussian principality of Hohenzollern, on the right bank of the Danube, 55 m. S. of Tubingen, on the railway to Ulm. Pop. (1905) 4621. The castle of the Hohenzollerns crowns a high rock above the river, and contains a collection of pictures, an exceptionally interesting museum (textiles, enamels, metal-work, etc.), an armoury and a library. On the opposite bank of the Danube there is a war monument to the Hohenzollern men who fell in 1866 and 1870-1871.
The division of Sigmaringen is composed of the two formerly sovereign principalities of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen and Hohenzollern-Hechingen (see HOHENZOLLERN), and has an area of 440 sq. m. and a population (1905) of 68,282. The Sigmaringen part of the Hohenzollern lands was the larger of the two (297 sq. m.) and lay mainly to the south of Hechingen, though the district of Haigerloch on the Neckar also belonged to it. The name of Hohenzollern is used much more frequently than the official Sigmaringen to designate the combined principalities.
See Woerl, Fiihrer durch Sigmaringen (Wiirzburg,1886).
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)