SHOEBURYNESS, a promontory on the coast of Essex, England, the point at which the coast-line trends north-eastward from the estuary of the Thames. It gives name to a school of gunnery, where officers are instructed and experiments carried out. The railway station (39 m. E. from London, the terminus of the London, Tilbury and Southend railway) bears the same name, but the parish is South Shoebury; North Shoebury is a parish situated nearer to Southend-on-Sea. The church of St Andrew retains some ornate Norman work, but is mainly a Perpendicular reconstruction. On the seaward side of the Ness there is a large ancient earthwork which is attributed to the Norsemen through a reference in the Saxon Chronicle (894) under the name Sceobrig. The parish is in the S.E. parliamentary division of the country. Pop. (1901) 4081.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)