SHIBARGHAN, a town and khanate of Afghan Turkestan. The town lies some 60 m. W. of Balkh, and contains 12,000 inhabitants, Uzbegs and Parsiwans. It has a citadel, but is not otherwise fortified, and is surrounded by good gardens and excellent cultivation. The khanate is one of the " four domains," which were long in dispute between Bokhara and Kabul, but were allotted to the Afghans by the Anglo-Russian boundary agreement of 1873.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)