SEVRES, a town of northern France, in the department of Seine-et-Oise, on the left bank of the Seine, midway between Paris and Versailles, about 3 m. from the fortifications of the former. Pop. (1906) 7949. The town owes its celebrity to the porcelain manufactory established there in 1756 and taken over by the State three years later. In the museum connected with the works are preserved specimens of the different kinds of ware manufactured in all ages and countries and the whole series of models employed at Sevres from the beginning of the manufacture, for an account of which see CERAMICS. A technical school of ceramics is attached to the factory.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)