SERAMPUR, a town of India, in the Hugli district of Bengal, on the right bank of the river Hugli, opposite Barrackpore, on the East Indian railway, 12 m. from Howrah. Pop. (1901) 44,451. A Danish factory was established here about the middle of the 17th century, and called by them Frederiksnagar. With the rest of the Danish possessions in India, it was acquired by purchase by the English in 1845. Serampur was the home of the Baptist mission founded by Carey. The mission press has been transferred to Calcutta, but a training college is still maintained by the mission. There is a jute mill, and paper is manufactured.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)