SEDBERGH, a market town in the Skipton parliamentary division of the West Riding of Yorkshire, England, 28! m. S.S.E. of Penrith by a branch of the London & North- Western railway. Pop. (1901) 2430. It is pleasantly situated at the junction of several small streams forming the river Lune, in a deep valley surrounded by high-lying moors. The church of St Andrew is principally late Norman. The grammar school was founded by Dr Roger Lupton, provost of Eton College, in 1528, but as it was connected with a chantry it was suppressed by Henry VIII., to be refounded in 1551 by Edward VI.; it now takes rank among the important public schools.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)