About Maximapedia


SCROLL, a strip or roll of paper, parchment, etc. The word in Mid. Eng. was scroiv, and came from Fr. escrou, modern ecrou; the French form is preserved in the legal term " escrow " (see DEED); the French diminutive escrouel gave the English form " scroll." The Fr. escrou is of Teutonic origin and is connected with "shred," "shard" and "sherd"; and meant a " shred " of paper. The term is sometimes given in architecture to the volute of the Ionic capital, to the termination of the handrail of a staircase, and also to the wave-like decorations of Roman red glazed pottery, and more particularly in Samian ware.

Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)

Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | GDPR