SCHWETZINGEN, a town of Germany, in the grand duchy of Baden, situated in a plain 9 m. by rail S.E. of Mannheim at the junction of lines to Carlsruhe, Heidelberg and Spires. Pop. (1905) 6858. It has a castle, formerly the residence of the electors palatine of the Rhine, built in 1656, destroyed by the French in 1689, but afterwards rebuilt. Its gardens, which occupy 117 acres, were laid out in the middle of the 18th century in imitation of those of Versailles. Cigars, vinegar, beer, yeast and jam are manufactured, while tobacco and hops are cultivated. Schwetzingen became a town in 1833.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)