SCHWETZ, a town of Germany, in the Prussian province of West Prussia, on the left bank of the Vistula, 29 m. by rail N.E. of Bromberg. Pop. (1905) 7747. It has an Evangelical church, two Roman Catholic churches, a synagogue and an old convent, now used as a lunatic asylum, and also the remains of a castle built in the 14th century by the Teutonic Order. The chief industries are the making of sugar and shoes, and there are also electrical works and saw-mills.
See Kcitz, Geschichte der Stadt Schwetz seit 1772 (Marienwerder, 1904).
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)