SCHWABACH, a town of Germany, in the kingdom of Bavaria, 9 m. by rail S. of Nuremberg. Pop. (1905) 10,342. It has the interesting Evangelical church of St John, built in the 15th century, with carvings by Veil Stoss, paintings by Wohlgemut, Martin Schon and others, and a ciborium by Adam Krafft; a fountain, the Schone Brunnen, and several schools. Schwabach is the chief seat of the needle manufacture in Bavaria; its other industries include gold and silver wire work, brewing and the making of soap and earthenware. Schwabach was purchased in 1364 by the burgrave of Nuremberg.
See Petzoldt, Chronik der Stadt Schwabach (Schwabach, 1854).
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)