SCHANDAU, a town of Germany, in the kingdom of Saxony, situated on the right bank of the Elbe, at the mouth of the little valley of the Kirnitsch. It is 4 m. from the Bohemian frontier, 20 m. S.E. of Dresden on the railway to Bodenbach, and has a branch to Niederneukirch, which is carried from the railway station lying on the right bank across the Elbe by an iron bridge. Pop. (1905) 3373. Schandau has an Evangelical parish church, a hydropathic establishment and a school of river navigation. The position of Schandau in the heart of the romantic " Saxon Switzerland " has made it a place of importance, and thousands of tourists make it their headquarters in summer. For their accommodation numerous hotels and villas have been erected. The chief manufactures of the town are artificial flowers and furniture.
See Schafer, Filhrer durch Schandau und seine Umgebung (Dresden, 1907).
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)