SANTA CLARA (or VILLA-CLARA), the capital of Santa Clara province, Cuba, about 185 m. (by rail) E.S.E. of Havana. Pop. (1907) 16,702. It is situated near the centre of the island, on a plateau, between two small streams, and is served by the United Railways of Havana and by the Cuba and the Cuba Central railways, the last connecting the east and west lines with the north and south coasts. The streets are straight and wide, and there are many fine buildings. The oldest church is of the last third of the 18th century. The city is surrounded by fertile plains, which are cultivated in cane or devoted to grazing. Santa Clara was founded in 1689 by a band of schismatics from Remedios.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)