Santa Ana, San Salvador
SANTA ANA, SAN SALVADOR, the capital of the department of Santa Ana, Salvador, 50 m. by rail N.W. of San Salvador. Pop. (1905) about 48,000. It is situated about 2100 ft. above sea-level, in a valley surrounded by high mountains, which are covered by coffee and sugar plantations and woods. It is the second city of the republic in size, and has broad shady streets and fine open squares. The municipal offices, hospital, literary institute and barracks are noteworthy buildings, and the parish church, Doric in style, is generally regarded as one of the finest in Central America. Cigars, pottery, starch, spirits, sugar and various textiles are manufactured, and the export trade in coffee and sugar has developed rapidly since the opening in 1900 of a railway to San Salvador and the Pacific port of Acajutla.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)