SANKT JOHANN, a town of Germany, in the Prussian Rhine province, on the right bank of the Saar, opposite Saarbrucken with which it is connected by three bridges. It is 49 m. N.E. from Metz and at the junction of lines from Trier, Bingerbriick and Zweibrucken. Pop. (1905) 24,140. Sankt Johann is the seat of extensive industries, the chief being the manufacture of railway plant and machinery, iron-founding, wire-drawing and brewing; its rapid industrial development is due mainly to the extensive railway system of which it is the centre.
Sankt Johann obtains its name from a chapel erected here. From 1321 to 1859 it formed a single town with Saarbrucken, and then was united to form one municipality with Saarbriicken and Malstatt-Burbach (united population, 90,000).
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)