SANDGATE, a watering-place of Kent, England, on the S.E. coast, ij m. W. of Folkestone, on the South-Eastern & Chatham railway. Pop. of urban district (1901) 2023. It is connected with Hythe, 3 m. W., by a tramway belonging to the railway company. It is included in the parliamentary borough of Hythe. Sandgate Castle was built by Henry VIII., but on the formation of a camp here in 1806 it was considerably altered. The camp of Shorncliffe lies N. of the town on a plateau.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)