SANDBACH, a market town in the Crewe parliamentary division of Cheshire, England, 5 m. N.E. of Crewe, on the London & North-Western and North Staffordshire railways. Pop. of urban district (1901) 5558. It lies on a headstream of the small river Wheelock, a tributary of the Weaver. The parish church of St Mary is Perpendicular, with a fine carved roof of the 17th century. A few old timbered houses, of the same period, remain. In the market-place are two remarkable crosses covered with rude carvings, and assigned by some to the 7th century, being similar to those at Monasterboice and elsewhere in Ireland. There are boot and shoe factories, chemical works and a manufactory of fustians, with salt-works and iron-works in the adjacent township of Wheelock.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)