San Nicolas De Los Arroyos
SAN NICOLAS DE LOS ARROYOS, a town and river port of Argentina, in the province of Buenos Aires, on the W. bank of the Parani, 150 m. by rail N.W. of the city of Buenos Aires. Pop. (1904, estimate), 18,000. It is a flourishing commercial town, and a port of call both for river and ocean-going steamers of medium tonnage. It is a station on the Buenos Aires & Rosario, and the terminus of a branch from Pergamino of the Central Argentine railway, and exports wheat, flour, wool and frozen mutton. The town is the judicial centre for the northern district of Buenos Aires. San Nicolas was founded in 1749 by Jose de Aguillar on lands given for that purpose by his wife (nee Ugarte). Its growth was very slow until near the end of the 19th century.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)