SALZBRUMN, a watering-place of Germany, in the Prussian province of Silesia, at the foot of a well-wooded spur of the Riesengebirge, 30 m. S.W. of Breslau, by the railway to Halberstadt. Pop. (1905) 10,412. It consists of Ober-, Neu- and Nieder-Salzbrunn, has a Roman Catholic and an Evangelical church and manufactures of glass, bricks and porcelain. Its alkalo-saline springs, especially efficacious in pulmonary and urinary complaints, were known as early as 1316, but fell into disuse until rediscovered early in the 19th century. The waters are used both for drinking and bathing, and of the two chief springs, the Oberbrunnen and the Kronenquelle, nearly two million bottles are annually exported. The number of summer visitors is about 7000 a year.
See Valentiner, Der Kurort Obersalzbrunn (Berlin, 1877); Biefel, Der Kurort Salzbrunn (Salzbrunn, 1872); and Deutsch, Schlesiens Heilquellen und Kurorte (Breslau, 1873).
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)