SAARGEMUND (Fr. Sarreguemines) , a town of Germany, in the imperial province of Alsace-Lorraine, situated at the confluence of the Blies and the Saar, 40 m. E. of Metz, 60 m. N.W. of Strassburg by rail, and at the junction of lines to Trier and Saarburg. Pop. (1905) 14,932. It carries on considerable manufactures of faience, plush, velvet, leather, porcelain and earthenware, and is a chief depot for the papier-mach6 boxes, mostly snuff-boxes, which are made in great quantities in the neighbourhood.
Saargemiind, originally a Roman settlement, obtained civic rights early in the 13th century. In 1297 it was ceded by the count of Saarbrucken to the duke of Lorraine, and passed with Lorraine in 1766 to France, being transferred to Germany in 1871.
See Thomire, Notes historiques sur Sarreguemines (Strassburg, 1887); and Box, Notice sur le pays de la Saare (Nancy, 1903).
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)