RYDE, a municipal borough and watering-place in the Isle of Wight, England, 5 m. S.S.W. of Portsmouth. Pop. (1901) 11,043. It is beautifully situated on rising ground on the N.E. coast, overlooking Spithead. It occupies the site of a village called La Rye or La Riche, which was destroyed by the French in the reign of Edward II. About the close of the 18th century it was a small fishing hamlet, but it rapidly grew into favour as a watering-place. Ryde is connected by rail with the other towns in the island, and there is also steamboat communication with Portsmouth, Southampton, Southsea, Portsea and Stoke's Bay. The pier, built originally in 1812, but since then greatly extended, forms a delightful promenade half a mile in length. The railway trains run out to its head, and an electric tramway also runs along it. The principal buildings are All Saints church, erected in 1870 from the designs of Sir Gilbert Scott, and other churches, the market house and town hall, the Royal Victoria Yacht club-house, the theatre and the Royal Isle of Wight Infirmary. There are golf-links near the town. The town was incorporated in 1868, and is governed by a mayor, 6 aldermen and 18 councillors. Area, 819 acres.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)