RUGELEY, a market town in the Lichfield parliamentary division of Staffordshire, England, in the Trent valley. Pop. of urban district (1901), 4447. The London & North-Western railway has stations on the main line (Trent Valley, 124^ m. N.W. from London), and at the town, on a branch line to Walsall. The Grand Trunk canal here follows the Trent. To the S.W. lie the hills of Cannock Chase. The church of St Augustine is modern; of the parish church of the 14th century only the tower and chancel remain. The municipal offices, market hall and assembly-room are contained in one building (1879). A grammar school was founded in 1611. There are ironfoundries, corn-mills and tanneries; and the parish includes several collieries.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)