ROTTENBURG, a town and episcopal see of Germany, in the kingdom of Wiirttemberg, situated on the left bank of the Neckar, which is here crossed by two bridges connecting the 1 Both miniatures are reproduced by J. O. Westwood in Facsimiles (London, 1868).
* Reproduced in Jahreshefle d. Wiirtemb. Altertums Ver. vol. iii. (Stuttgart, 1846), pi. viii. figs. 10 and n.
3 See Facsimile, by Comte Auguste de Bastard (Paris, 1883).
* The whole case of this much-discussed Psalter, with rtsumts of the principal writings on the subject of facsimiles of the miniatures bearing on the evolution of the cithara, will be found in Kathleen Schlesmger's Instruments of the Orchestra, pp. 343-82 and pi. iii., vi. and vii. (London, 1909).
'See Kathleen Schlcsinger, op. cit., pp. 334, 338-39 n. and 441- town with the suburb of Ehingen, 7 m. by rail S.W. of Tubingen. Pop. (1905) 7554. It is the seat of a Roman Catholic bishop, and possesses the fine Gothic cathedral of St Martin; several other churches; an old castle now used as a prison; and a building, formerly a Jesuit monastery and now the residence of the bishop. The chief industries are the manufacture of machinery, screws, watches and beer, tanning and the cultivation of fruit and hops. Rottenburg passed into the possession of Austria in 1281 and into that of Wurttemberg in 1805. Near the town are the remains of the Roman station of Sumalocenna or Salmulocenae.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)