ROTHWELL, an urban district in the Normanton parliamentary division of the West Riding of Yorkshire, England, 4 m. S.E. of Leeds. Pop. (1901) 11,702. The church of the Holy Trinity, though largely restored, retains some good Decorated details. Rothwell soon after the Conquest was granted as a dependency of the castle of Pontefract to the Lacys, who erected here a baronial residence of which there are slight remains. Coal and stone are obtained in the neighbourhood, and the town possesses match-works and rope and twine factories in which the majority of the large industrial population is employed.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)