RONDA, a town of southern Spain, in the province of Malaga; on the river Guadiaro and on the Algeciras-Bobadilla railway. Pop. (1900) 20,995. Ronda is built on a high rock nearly surrounded by the Guadiaro, which flows through an abrupt chasm 530 ft. deep and 300 ft. wide, by which the old town is separated from the new. Of the three bridges, one is said to have been built by the Romans, another by the Moors; the most modern (1761) spans the stream in a single arch at a height of about 255 ft. On the edge of the chasm is the-alameda or public promenade, commanding a wide and beautiful prospect of the fertile valley or vega and the sierras beyond. The old part of the town has a Moorish aspect, with narrow, steep and crooked lanes, and still retains some Moorish towers and other medieval buildings. The Ronda bull-ring is one of the finest in Spain, and can accommodate 10,000 spectators. Ronda has a considerable trade in leather, saddlery, horses, soap, flour, chocolate, wine and hats.
Some remains of an aqueduct and theatre, about 7 m. N. of Ronda, are supposed to represent the Acinipo or Arunda of ancient geographers. Ronda was taken from the Moors in 1485. It gives its name to the Sierra or Serrania de Ronda, one of the main sections of the coast mountains which rise between the great plain of Andalusia and the Mediterranean.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)