RIPLEY, a market town in the Ilkeston parliamentary division of Derbyshire, England, 10 m. N. by E. of Derby, on a branch of the Midland railway. Pop. of urban district (1901) io,m. It lies on high ground between the valleys of the Derwent and the Erewash. In the neighbourhood there are extensive collieries, and coke is largely manufactured. Besides iron foundries, blast furnaces and boiler works, the town possesses silk and cotton mills. The charter for the market was granted by Henry III. The district has a large industrial population. To the west of Ripley lies the township of HEAGE (pop. 2889).
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)