RICHFIELD SPRINGS, a village of Richfield township, Otsego county, New York, U.S.A., about 22 m. S.S.E. of Utica and f m. N. of Schuyler (or Candarago) lake. Pop. (1890) 1623; (1900) 1537; (1005, state census) 1684. It is served by the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western railway, and by the Oneonta & Mohawk Valley electric line connecting with the New York Central railway at Herkimer. The village is situated in a farming country, about 1700 ft. above sea-level. Knit goods are manufactured, but the importance of the place is due to its sulphur springs, the waters of which are used for the treatment of skin diseases, gout, rheumatism, etc., and to the tonic air and fine scenery. In 1908 a Welsh eisteddfod was held here in Earlington Park. The first hotels were built between 1820 and 1830. A post office was established here in 1829, and the village was incorporated in 1861.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)