RAMPUR, a native state of India, in subordination to the United Provinces. It lies in Rohilkhand, between the British districts of Moradabad and Pilibhit. Area, 893 sq. m. The country is level and generally fertile; being watered in the north by the rivers Kosila and Nahul, and in the south by the Ramganga. The chief crops are maize, rice and sugar cane. Pop. (1901) 533,212, showing a decrease of 3-3% in the decade. Estimated revenue, 234,000; military force, 2556 men, including two squadrons of Imperial Service lancers. The chief, whose title is nawab, is a Rohilla Pathan, representing the family which established their power over this part of the country in the 18th century. When the Rohillas were subjugated by the nawab of Oudh, with the assistance of a force lent by Warren Hastings, one of their number, Faiz-ullah Khan, from whom the present nawab traces his descent, was permitted to retain possession of Rampur. During the Mutiny of 1857 the nawab of Rampur rendered important services to the British, for which he received a grant of land 'assessed at 0000 in perpetuity, besides other honours. The state is crossed by the main line of the Oudh & Rohilkhand railway from Bareilly to Moradabad. The town of Rampur is on the left bank of the river Kosila, 620 ft. above the sea, with a railway station 39 m. N.W. of Bareillji Pop. (1001) 78,758. There are manufactures of damask, pottery, sword-blades and sugar. It is partially, and was once completely, surrounded by a broad bamboo hedge, which formed a strong defence. In addition to a modern fort and several fine buildings, it contains an Arabic college, which attracts students from all parts of India.
There are two other towns in India called Rampur, one of which, the capital of the state of Bashahr in the Punjab, has given its name to the fine woollen shawls, widely known as Rampur chadars.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)