RADAUTZ, a town in Bukovina, Austria, 35 m. S. by W. of Czernowitz by rail. Pop. (1900) 14,343, f which about 70% are Germans and 25% are Rumanians. It was formerly the seat of a Greek bishopric, removed to Czernowitz in 1786, and possesses a cathedral (1402) with the tombs of several Moldavian princes. The Austrian government has here a large stud. To the W. of Radautz are situated the old monasteries of Putna and Suczawica, dating from the isth century. They still contain many old and valuable ecclesiastical objects of art, although a great part has been removed to the various monasteries in Moldavia.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)