About Maximapedia


RABBET, in carpentry and masonry, the name for a rectangular groove or slot cut in the edge of a piece of wood or stone, to which another corresponding piece can be fitted (see JOINERY and MASONRY). The word is an adaptation of the O. Fr. rabat or rabbat, from rabattre, i.e. abattre, beat back, abate, to make a recess, and is thus a doublet of " rebate " (q.v.), which is now frequently used instead of " rabbet," the joint being also known as a " rebated joint."

Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)

Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | GDPR