QUIMPERL.fi, a town of western France, capital of an arrondissement in the department of Finistere, at the confluence of two rivers which unite to form the Laiter, 28 m. E.S.E. of Quimper by rail. Pop. (1906) town 6203, commune 9176. Quimperle grew up round the abbey of Ste Croix, founded in the 11th century, the romanesque basilica of which, restored in modern times, still remains. The church of St Michel (14th and 15th centuries), with a fine tower, crowns the hill above the town. Quimperle has a tribunal of first instance, and carries on the manufacture of farm implements, railway material, paper, etc., and trades in grain, timber, cattle and agricultural products. The town has a small port.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)