PYRITZ, a town of Germany, in the Prussian province of Pomerania, 16 m. S.W. of Stargard by the railway to Ciistrin. Pop. (1905), 8600. It is still surrounded by walls with towers, and has two Evangelical churches. There are small manufactures of machinery, bricks and sugar. Excellent wheat is grown in the vicinity, while another industry is the breeding of cattle. Near the town is a fountain, erected to mark the spring in which Otto, bishop of Bamberg, baptized the first Pomeranian converts to Christianity in 1 1 24. Pyritz became a town in 1150.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)