POSSNECK, a town of Germany, in the duchy of SaxeMeiningen, 21 m. by rail S. of Jena, on the Kotschau. Pop. (1905), 12,702. It has a Gothic Evangelical church built about 1390, and a Gothic town-hall erected during the succeeding century. Its chief industries are the making of flannel, porcelain, furniture, machines, musical instruments and chocolate. The town has also tanneries, breweries, dyeworks and brickworks. Possneck, which is of Slavonic origin, passed about 1300 to the landgrave of Thuringia. Later it belonged to Saxony and later still to the duchy of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld, passing to SaxeMeiningen in 1826.
See E. Koch, Aus Possnecks Vergangenheit (P6ssneck, 1894-1895); the same writer, Beitrage zur urkundlichen Geschichte der Stadt Possneck (Possneck, 1896-1900); and the Geschichte der Stadt Possneck, published by the Possnecker Zeitung (Possneck, 1902).
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)