PORT JERVIS, a city of Orange county, New York, U.S.A., on the Delaware river, at its junction with the Neversink, 88 m. N.W. of New York city by rail, and at the intersection of the boundary lines of the states of New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Pop. (1900), 9385, of whom 895 were' foreign-born; (1910 census), 9564. It is served by the Erie and the New York, Ontario & Western railways. The beauty of the scenery in its vicinity has made the city a summer resort. At Port Jervis are situated the extensive shops of the Erie railway. Among the manufactures are wearing apparel, silk, glass, and silver ware. The value of the factory products increased from $1,009,081 in 1900 to $1,635,215 in 1905, or 62%. Port Jervis was laid out in 1826, soon after work began on the Delaware & Hudson Canal; it owes its origin to that waterway (now abandoned), and was named in honour of John Bloomfield Jervis (1795-1885), the engineer who constructed the canal, who, in 1836, was in charge of the construction of the Croton Aqueduct, and wrote Railway Property (1859) and The Construction aiid Management of Railways (1861). Port Jervis was incorporated as a village in 1853, and was chartered as a city in 1907.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)