PORT ADELAIDE, a port of Adelaide county, South Australia, 7^ m. by rail N.W. of Adelaide. Pop. of the town and suburbs (1901), 20,089. It is situated on an estuary 9 m. from St Vincent Gulf and is the principal shipping port of South Australia. Its wharves, equipped with steam and travelling cranes, and tramways, are 2\ m. in extent; it has docks and a number of patent slips capable of taking up vessels of 300 to 1500 tons. There are also piers at Semaphore and Larg's Bay, on the other side of Lefevre's Peninsula some 2 m. distant, which are connected with Port Adelaide by rail. The industries comprise silver and copper smelting, brewing, sawmilling, ropemaking, flourmilling, sugar-refining and yacht-building. The harbour is protected by two forts known as the Fort Glanville batteries. The suburbs, which are connected with the town by tramways, are Alberton, Queenstown, Yatala, Rosewater and Kingston-on-the-Hill.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)